Friday, February 4, 2011

lessons on pride.

robin, here.
i thought i'd share some of my thoughts in lieu of casey's announcement about our sticking around for a bit more.
in case anyone cared or wondered.

pride is a dangerous thing.
casey and i believe we nearly stepped out of God's will and into a 
potentially hazardousness situation by moving before our house is sold.
the thing that's made this choice so hard {outside} of being prideful,
is our genuine and urgent desire to {go} to manhattan and serve.
we've been considering and praying and seeking counsel on this decision to go for nearly {2 years}now.
needless to say, we are {anxious} to move forward.
so because of this strong desire, we went ahead and set our move date.
a couple of move dates, actually.
we've had {incredible} good bye parties.
multiple tearful goodbye's over the last few weeks.

so when casey came to me yesterday and told me, we're not going yet like we planned, my stomach turned.
and if i'm being totally honest, it's wasn't out of disappointment.
it was out of {pride}.
i started to think, but if we don't go, we'll look foolish.
we'll look flakey.
we'll look uncommitted.
we'll look like we don't have faith in God to provide for us enough income to support a mortgage payment and potential rent payment.

i know, right?  {gross}.
but in His faithfulness, amidst, and even during these thoughts God began to soften my heart with truth.
i felt Him communicating to me, 
"robin.  daughter.  it's My Will, not yours.  it is in your weakness that makes Me stronger. your humility will count for My Glory. let go of this foolish pride.  daughter, let go."  

in this whole 2 year process, my prayer has been that God would be Glorified.
that i would grow, be shaped, and refined.
i wanted this move to ks to reflect my desire to Glorify God.
and i got caught up in glorifying myself.  
look at me.  look at me.  look at me.
i'm sacrificing for Christ.
i'm having big faith to go when our house hasn't sold.
again, let me just say,  BLEH.
deep down, all of those desires {are} things i want for God.
but i got a little wrapped up in them for me as well.

does that make sense?

and that is the last think i want.
i want God's blessing.

so indeed, this was a choice that might make me look or feel foolish.
but i've been brought to my knees in humility.
this is for God's glory.

not mine.

and we'll go when He say's it's time.





3 comments:

  1. So honest, Robin, and so real. It feels so good when people say, "You are so Godly!" It really fills the flesh, and pride. I totally understand you on that (even though I am NOT Godly in the least). I felt that when Micah was born..."Oh Wow you are really trusting Him" and I felt pride in that. How wrong! I think the Devil is so alive and well when I think of my flesh.
    I really appreciate your honesty and your humbleness. You guys ARE wonderful and ARE Godly and you encourage me to be real and humble with my life, too.
    I pray you guys get to move soon! It can't be fun to not know the future....(I know, we don't know ours).
    Last night at our church's monthly women's meeting my friend Julie shared about how she prayed about going on a mission trip to Costa Rica for 3 years. It looked like she was going to get to go 2 years ago, but then her Mom got sick with cancer. She knew it was God's will for her to go, felt called, but then there were all these doors shutting. Finally, this year she was able to go for 6 months and God answered this huge list of things she had to trust him with....fincances, employment, protection, ...a lot of really specific prayers she prayed were answered AMAZINGLY and God has so blessed her through it, and the people in the GCM church in Guapeles, Costa Rica....
    So, made me think of you. Wait and pray and trust and I know God is going to BLESS your socks off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE you! This is the verse that came to mind. Thanks for fleshing it out.

    Psalm 27:14 Wait for the Lord; Be strong, and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the Lord.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precious Robin...i can only say, "been there, done that!" Again the words of Paul ring in my heart for you...Philippians 4:11...for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am... Love you dearly!

    ReplyDelete